Ancient Epochs & The Greek World
Having lived in the world of the fairytale and myth in the first four years, the children of Year 5 are now ready for the borderland between mythology and history proper. Through vast pictures of human evolution the children move from the dawn of pre-history in the ancient culture of India through story and biography through Persia, Babylon, Egypt and Ancient Greece, the great cultures of the ancient world.
Year 5 Main Lessons: English (3); Mathematics (4); Local History, Local Geography; Botany (Science); Ancient Epochs.
- Stories/ myths from the Ancient Epochs
- Grammar work: writing; editing; punctuation.
- Reading: Novel study
- Fractions continued in greater complexity
- Geometry of the Circle
- Decimals and conversion to fractions
- The plant kingdom
Geography / History – orienting the child in time:
- Local environments: a wider region of Australia
- History: the local story : Australian explorers
- Ancient epochs: India, Persia/Mesopotamia, Egypt.
- Ancient Greece: The Trojan War; Classical Greece
- Craft: Four Needle Knitting; Woodwork: Hand-carving
- Games: Olympic Games event: Pentathlon
- Languages: Japanese & German
- Music: singing/ treble recorder: Rounds/ Canons; Harmony; Part songs
- Drama: Class Play
- Technology: typing/ word processing/ publishing