The Hebrew World
By around the age of 9, most children have lost their instinctive sense of unity with the world around them and in its place comes a stronger sense of their own individual being. This can be a critical time for the children.
Their deep sense of connection with the world around has gone. The experience of ‘here I am and there is the world, separate from me’ is experienced deep in the physical being. The curriculum from now on is balanced in such a way as to both strengthen and enrich the inner life and build a positive relationship with the outer world. Separation characterises virtually every creation myth in every culture and the primary story images for the child in Class 3 are those of the Old Testament taught as Hebrew Creation Myths and not in any sense as religious instruction.
Class 3 Main Lessons: English (Old Testament); Mathematics (4); Farming; Building; Music; Grammar.
- Stories from the Old Testament (4 Main Lessons)
- Grammar Main Lesson
- Reading Groups
- Cursive writing
- Vertical algorithms
- Imaginative stories for number processes
- Times tables
- Measurement: length; weight; time
Science (Living on Earth: Food and Shelter):
- Farming: from sun and earth to our tables
- Building a house: trades
- Houses around the world
- Form Drawing – four-way symmetry
- Craft: Crochet
- Languages: Japanese & German
- Music: singing/ recorder: introduction of major and minor
- Drama: Class Play