The Fairy Tale World
The fairytale is the fundamental picture for the children of Class 1 as the children listen to fairytales from around the world on the one hand and stories of the natural and dreamtime world on the other. In essence the fairy story is a soul journey that speaks to the inner life of the child who instinctively understands the trials undergone by the hero or heroine. Listening to and retelling such stories is the foundation for literacy, numeracy and science main lessons throughout the year.
CurriculumClass 1 Main Lessons: English; Mathematics; Science (Nature Studies)
- Letters: writing from drawing
- Words/ sentences: reading from writing
- Number qualities, that is the recognition of things in the world that correspond to that number: one world, one me; two – day/night, hot/cold, dark/light; three – clover leaves, pine needles etc.
- Counting: odds and evens
- Introducing the four operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division through imaginative stories
- Counting up to 100 and back from 100; aural/oral times tables
Nature Stories:Imaginative stories that portray aspects of Nature in general and the local environment in fairy tale form: teacher created and indigenous stories.
- Form Drawing – free hand straight & curved lines, vertical symmetry
- Craft: Knitting
- Painting/ Drawing
- Languages: German & Japanese
- Music: singing/ recorder: use of the Pentatonic scale
- Drama: Class Play